Welcome to CalWORKs at Ventura College!

CalWORKs stands for California Work Opportunity & Responsibility to Kid and is California's welfare reform program designed to help head of households become self-sufficient through a variety of educational and work-related activities, including attendance at Ventura College. Some adults in the program are required to participate in welfare-to-work activities, such as looking for a job, attending job training, working, or furthering their education, which will improve their chances for long-term employment and self-sufficiency.

To apply for CalWORKs you must visit the County of Ventura Human Services Agency website or call 1-866-904-9362. Eligibility is determined by the county. 


How does this connect to Ventura College?

Students begin at the Human Services Agency. Those required to participate in welfare-to-work activities are often provided the opportunity to attend college as part of their activities. The Human Services Agency will refer students to our college for the purpose of furthering their education with the goal of improving their opportunities for long-term employment and self-sufficiency. This requires the student to acquire a referral to our office for academic counseling.